A note from Ms. Poteet…
I Hope you all had a bountiful Thanksgiving, with good food and even better loved ones! Now it’s time to prepare for the holidays. We will do our best to maintain our learning routines during this busy season, as well as have fun with holiday traditions.
We will be going to see, “Nutcracker in a Nutshell,” on Friday. The performance will be held at the Louisville Palace, so please make sure your children look nice. I’m sure your children will love dressing up! We will eat lunch at school, but will need sack lunches and drinks.
Thank you to all who have asked to participate in the Harmony Helping House. Our child that we are helping this year is a 16 year-old girl who is interested in painting her nails, wearing jewelry and hanging out with her friends. If you haven’t responded, and you would like to participate, it’s not too late! Please contact me before Thursday for more information.
Need some adult time? December 9th is our class “Pretend Sleepover” from 7:00-10:00. We will have S’mores and popcorn; watch a classic G-rated movie in our P.J.s and sleeping bags. Contact me if you are interested in signing up for this fun event. Proceeds go into our class budget, and will be used for instructional materials. Some families already signed up at the Harmony Harvest.
What are we learning?
We will learn more about Schema, and how to use our background knowledge to make connections. We will visit the school library on Monday.
This week we will continue to develop our persuasive letters to Santa, or a special person.
This week, we will explore the word families -op, -og, -od, and -ot. We will also learn how to read and write these words that will be added to our Word Wall: could, when, have. Have your child sing you the songs for these words.
We will complete our on comparing numbers and begin our unit on addition and subtraction strategies, and we will begin using addition and subtraction symbols.
Everyday Math Home Link
“Top It” reinforces number recognition and helps children learn to compare 2 numbers, to decide which number is more or less. (You may remember this game as “War.”)
1. Shuffle a deck of number cards (or a regular deck of cards with the face cards removed) and divide the cards evenly between 2 players, face down.
2. Players turn their top card over at the same time. The player with the greater numbered card keeps both cards. If the cards are equal, turn over the next card to see who has the greater card.
3. Play continues until one player has all or most of the cards.
4. Vary game play by playing for the least numbered card.
What are maps and what do we use them for? We will learn the difference between political maps and physical maps, as well as how to make maps.
* Friday, December 2nd: Field trip to, “Nutcracker in a Nutshell.”
* Tuesday, December 6th: Our class shopping day at the Book Fair
* Wednesday, December 15th: Items for Husky Helping House are due.
* Friday, December 9th: Pretend Sleepover 7- 10 p.m.
*Saturday, December 10th: Donuts with Santa.
*Send in a healthy snack and water bottle (with a pull up spout) every day.
* Always dress appropriately for outdoor recess.
* Sign your child’s weekly planner every night!
* Library book due every Friday!
Related Arts Schedule