Playing Outside

Playing Outside

September 7, 2014

Newsletter 9.8.14


A note from Room 121 …


 

Thanks again to the parents who were able to attend to our Parent Orientation.  Don’t forget to send in your Mystery Reader and Volunteer forms if you would like to sign up.  
We will start our Word Wall Word homework this week.  I will send home this week’s words on Monday.  Please cut the words apart and add them to your child’s ring.  Our first goal for students is to have them read each word and then be able to spell them. 

 

Reminders


*Please help your kindergartener learn their lunch and bus number! 

*It’s time for all kindergartners to practice tying their own shoes.  Thanks for your help with this at home! 

*Send in a healthy snack and water bottle every day!


Dates to Remember


- September 10: Early Release Day

- September 26: Husky Hustle (Families will be invited to join us from 1:25-2:10 pm for this event- If you are able to attend we would love it!  I will send more information home soon!)

What are we learning?


Reading Workshop

We are learning how to take care of book and how to find them and put them away in our classroom library. We will learn how to use symbols and pictures on the backs of the books to help us find the correct basket.  We will also visit the Library for Library Orientation.  We will get to check out our very first library book this week.

Writing Workshop

This week, we are learning how to plan our writing.  This means that students will sketch their picture, and then describe it orally.  Next, we will count on our fingers how many words were said and plan our page for our words.  Be sure to look for those family journals on Friday. They sure loved reading your responses on Monday!

Word Study

This week, we will explore the letters Gg and Tt. Ask your child about the letter sound chants for both. We will also learn how to read and write these words that will be added to our Word Wall: it, I & he. Have your child sing you the songs for these words.
Math

We are continuing to compare the length of objects and will begin to explore capacity.  There are many fun extensions you can do at home.  Children often think that a taller glass has a greater capacity than a shorter wide one.  Playing with a variety of cups and water/rice/sand is great fun!

 Social Studies

This week we will continue learning about the 7 Habits of a Happy Kid.  We will focus on the following habits: 

           Habit 2 — Begin with the End in Mind

Have a Plan

Focus for Students: I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.


Habit 3 — Put First Things First

Work First, Then Play

Focus for Students: I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.
Ms. Hammons will also visit us twice this week to continue teaching about I Care Cat.

 Related Arts Schedule


















Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
PE
PE
PE
PE
PE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment